Friday, February 19, 2010

What a year

wow! So walking home from running errands, I was walking down a street that had stereotypical NY apartments, brick buildings w/ fire escapes. The street looked so pretty, even if the lack of leaves on the trees, and the dirty melting snow on the edges of the sidewalk. I realized as I walked down the street that if someone would have told me a year ago that I would be living in NYC and going to NYU I would have thought them crazy. First off, there is NO WAY that NYU would accept me, and secondly NYC?!? I always thought that it would be so much fun to live here for a summer but I thought that I couldn't last longer than that here just from what I saw in movies, tv shows, and how people described it to me. I have to admit when I came to visit I didn't understand what the big fuse was, and why everyone hated this city so much. So many people have very strong feelings about NYC, some positive, but mainly they were negative thoughts and feelings. I have been here about 6 months and I think I fall into the category of those who have positive feelings towards and about NYC. I think this city is amazing and I love that there is always something to do, somewhere to go, and you never have to do the same thing twice or eat at the same restaurant twice.

A year of go I would have thought you were crazy that I would move cross country and leave all my friends and family to go to graduate school. It was really hard, and still is hard to not be able to just take a quick trip home for the day, but I am so glad that i did it. I think I would have always regretted and wondered "what if" if I hadn't come. I know that this is not a city I want to spend the rest of my life in, but for someone in their early 20s I think it's a great place. Moving away forced me to leave my comfort zone and do many things that I wouldn't have done if I still lived in California. I will run errands and go shopping alone, I will go to the movies alone, and I will even eat in a restaurant alone. I feel like as a person I really have grown in the last half a year, and I have learned a lot about myself and who I want to be.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cmwright121

That is all for now, off to Baltimore and DC in the morning! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment