Friday, March 19, 2010

March

The beginning of the month was very stressful, full of midterm exams and papers. This past week has been great, the weather was in the 60s and 70s and it was my spring break! I was able to relax and just wander around the city in the wonderful weather. I went on a couple jogs by the East River, and sat on my rooftop and read, and went to Central Park one day. It was a great break, but I go back to school and my internship next week. I have 8 friends birthdays in the next 2 weeks, so it will be busy with birthday parties and dinners. In 2.5 weeks Willy moved out to NY! I can't wait to have my dog back, I miss him so much, and I know that he will adjust to NY living quickly. A day after Willy moves out here Kimmie comes to visit me during her spring break. I can't wait for her to come and see NY, and let me show her all the awesomeness of NYC! She will be here for Easter, and I have a few other friends not going home for Easter, so we might have a joint Easter thingy.

As soon as Kimmie leaves I am on the home stretch to being half way done with my Masters! That's right, I am almost half way done!!! I have 6 weeks left as of now, so once Kimmie leaves I will be focusing on finals, finals, and more finals. I have to wrap up things at my internship and discuss termination with my clients. The children are used to have a new Social Worker each year at the school, but it doesn't make it any easier to say bye. I have filled out my paperwork for my 2nd year placement, and am hoping to be placed in the psych ward of a hospital or a in-patient residential facility. I should find out sometime mid summer.

I am still waiting for the tutoring position to start, I have gotten fingerprinted, and according to the women I spoke to earlier today I should be getting a phone call to complete the hiring process on Monday. So I can get 3 months of tutoring kids before they have summer break. I also may have a possible job opportunity with my current supervisor's old company. I don't know much more than it would be with disabled adults, but my supervisor will inform us more about it this upcoming week.

Lastly, I am hoping to go study abroad in Costa Rica this summer. The program is through the Social Work program at NYU and I would go for 3 weeks to Costa Rica and take an immersion Spanish class. According to students that went last year, you will come back fluent (on an elementary school level) in Spanish. It would open so many doors to be fluent in Spanish, especially in the field I am in. A lot of my clients come from immigrant families and do not speak the language, and the most prominent language we see is some form of Spanish. I found out the cost of the program, and now am waiting to find out how much financial aid will cover for summer classes. I would love to go, and it would benefit me in the long run professionally, but I don't have extra money to spend on anything. So if financial aid can not give me enough to cover the program cost, then I will be staying here in August instead of going to Costa Rica.

That's about it for now...I will update again after Kimmie leaves and let y'all know all about her visit!

bye for now <3

No comments:

Post a Comment