Friday, January 29, 2010

Culture and Social Issues of Central America - Study Abroad in Costa Rica

This course will introduce students to the European-heritage and Indigenous cultures of and contemporary socio-political issues facing developing countries with a focus on Latin America emphasizing issues affecting children and families in of Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, and Costa Rica. Using Costa Rica as the focus of study, domestic and international aid responses to poverty and vulnerable populations, public and private, will be explored.

This course is an opportunity to learn about and from the developing world… in Costa Rica! From a global perspective (with an emphasis on Latin America), we will explore social policy issues as they affect vulnerable populations, particularly children and families. We will be introduced to domestic and international aid responses through guest lectures and site visits.

For the field portion of the program, we will be spending three to six afternoons at a public child care center for very poor, pre-school children, half of whom are Costa Rican and half of whom are from Nicaragua. Students should be prepared to engage the children in activities (arts and crafts, music, dance, games), providing their own supplies.


So, I found out this week that my program each summer goes to Costa Rica for a study abroad class. All I know so far is as much as I posted above (the course description) But I was thinking this would be a pretty cool thing to go and do. I want to travel more and although I have a always associated study abroad w/ Europe, why not go to a place I have never been and speaks the language I am trying to soon become bi-lingual in. We shall see what happens, I can not find out any more until after the information session in the begging of March. Very excited though of the possibility

No comments:

Post a Comment